Current control measures vary in their effectiveness. The traditional scarecrow is lifeless and static. Pest birds get used to them quickly, so their effectiveness is short-term. Noise based systems, like gas guns are upsetting to neighbors and chemical treatments and poisons often have unacceptable consequences on beneficial insects and the natural environment.
How does it work?
At the heart of the Scarybird system is a raptor shaped kite, tethered to a telescopic pole. The kite mimics the flight of a bird of prey, constantly altering its course (speed, height, hovering), and in the process scaring pest birds away. At the slightest breath of wind (less than 2km/h), it takes-off and flies randomly through the sky.
Unlike fixed scarecrow systems, the random nature of SCARYBIRD's flight path, makes pest birds very nervous and wary of its presence, mistaking it for a hunting predator.
Where can I use it?
SCARYBIRD is intended for a wide range of applications and for use by both Professionals and Individuals who suffer the damage caused by pest birds: crows, starlings, pigeons, blackbirds, sparrows, gulls, seagulls, magpies... and who wish to use an environmental friendly control method to protect their crops, garden, equipment etc.
- Broad Acre Crops
- Use in cultivated fields to protect your crops and seeds… for all spring and autumn crops and standing crops which can be attacked by birds. The system effectively intimidate magpies, crows, pigeons...
- In orchards against bird attacks on soft flesh fruits such as apricot, cherry, grape, peach ... birds such as starlings, blackbirds and magpies are fond of sweet fruits! Ten birds attacking a cherry tree at the same time can destroy it within minutes. Our flying scarecrow scares them off before that happens!
- Vineyards are a favourite target of starling invasions. The device is particularly effective against these pest birds. Starlings live in groups of thousands of birds and can destroy entire vineyards. SCARYBIRD is an effective way to protect your grapes against attacks.
- Agricultural tarpaulins used for protecting silage, hay, etc.
- Agricultural tarpaulins for silage, corn, etc. suffer substantial damage from birds beaks, especially crows and starlings. These birds have highly developed sight and highly intelligent so get used quickly to static scarecrows. Our solution of random flight raptor allows you to frighten them and avoid getting holes in your tarps
- For gardens and veggie patches
- Ever had your peas, beans, lettuce and tomatoes ravaged by doves and pigeons, SCARYBIRD is an effective solution to protect your garden and vegetable crops.
- Outdoor Poultry farms
- Outdoor/Free range poultry farms are frequently targeted by foraging birds, eg crows or gulls will regularly attack ducks and chickens and eat their food. Against these attacks, the raptor is the solution to protect your outdoor animals.
- Scarybird can be set up, moved and broken down in minutes. Set up involves 4 simple steps:
- Knock in the fibre glass stake halfway into the ground at the desired location, free of obstacles.
- Retract and lock in the sections of the telescopic pole.
- Assemble the kite and attach it to the top of the pole.
- Place the pole on the stake and its ready to go.
- The kite is designed to take-off in low wind condition conditions (less than 2 km/h) but choose a location not too sheltered from the wind and distant from buildings.
- Take down the scarecrow in strong wind conditions (more than 45 km/h) or in anticipation of a storm.
- Install the Scarybird in an obstacle free area, making sure there are no obstacles close to the take-off area. Be aware that in stronger winds, the outer radius of flight increases as the telescopic pole bends.
- To prevent pest birds getting too used to Scarybird it must be moved every 5 to 7 days. This is done by simply removing the pole, pulling out the stake & re-locating it 3 to 4 metres away.
- When not required and to maximise the kite’s life span, Scarybird should be stored in a dry location away from sunlight